We have come across a new form of scams coming from fraudsters offering investment services. Protecting our clients is one of Atom Exchange’s priorities and we take an active role into making the Crypto community aware of the different scams they might encounter along the way.
Investing and trading seem to go hand in hand when it comes to cryptocurrencies. Fraudsters have taken advantage of this to come up with new Investment Platforms Scams.
How do fraudsters operate?
- They claim to be a broker/investment companies and to provide accounts that allow trading with different financial instruments
- They are the ones contacting you. You did not reach out !
- Then they might mention a cooperation with Atom Exchange and ask you to sign up for an Atom Exchange Trade account ( there is no such thing) or when you buy Bitcoin to enter a Bitcoin delivery address provided by them.
- They will explain that the coins will be sent to “your investment account”
- You might get access to a fake dashboard showing fake stats and ” a balance” showing positive numbers for your “investments”
- In this way, they manage to mislead you into thinking that you are making a profit, into making you order more bitcoins and entering a BTC address that they have provided you with claiming that it is yours – to which in reality you do not have access
- Note that they build very convincing front-ends to make their web sites look like they belong to a real company.
- Fraudster pretend to be customer support agents you can contact and they will keep the lie going until they cut the communication and disappear
This is when you find out that you have been scammed, that your investment account with them doesn’t exist and that for all the orders placed, you were sending the coins to an address someone else owns and you cannot access.
When in doubt contact us and let us know , we know all of our partners and employees through stringent vetting . if they are not on our list. you should not work with them!
How can I prevent this from happening to me?
- In the first place, it is important to research very thoroughly before you invest in something. If you Google write the name of the company you will get information about it shared in public forums
- Be suspicious about any unsolicited offers of investment and ask questions
- Protect yourself online by never sharing private, personal and payment information
- On the trade confirmation screen, we display a message clearly stating that you are responsible for double checking the Bitcoin address you are entering is correct and that you have access to it.
A Bitcoin Wallet is like a physical wallet in the sense that if you put your money in someone else’s wallet or if you share it, others will have access to your funds as well and can use them without your knowledge or permission. Therefore, you should never share access to your Cryptocurrency wallet. Send funds only to a wallet that you have created yourself and make sure that you are the only one having access to it.
- We don’t call anyone to offer our services and we don’t offer investment advices
- If you have encountered a similar form of scams, we strongly advice you to report this to your local police authorities. On our side, we will do as much as we can to collaborate with any law enforcement investigation.